The ABCs of Gen Z
While we were all busy talking about the millennials, a new generation took over the top spot size-wise in society. Known specifically as Gen Z, this new group that you need to know about was born between 1997 and 2015 (meaning they range in age from almost 3 to 20). While it's true they aren't yet your latest hire or even your newest customer, you need to get prepared. After all, time has a funny way of creeping up on you, and the worst thing that a salesperson can do is ignore a looming trend.
So what do you need to know about Gen Z?
- They now account for 26% of the population.
- By 2020 (that's just three years away!) they'll account for an astounding 40% of all consumers.
- They're the most technologically fluent generation ever. They use more mobile apps and mobile phone features than any other demographic segment in connection with retail, and the majority of their online time overall is spent on mobile devices.
- They don't sit through ads. They won't wait to work their way through heavily sponsored content.
- They're all over the place, using five screens on average — smartphone, TV, laptop, desktop and tablet.
As we continue to learn more about Gen Z, there's one thing we want to caution you about — don't be too quick to judge. Already labeled as screen addicts, Gen Z has now been shown in recent studies to have attention spans of just eight seconds.
Sounds pitiful, doesn't it?
But Jeremy Finch from Altitude, a product development company, looks at this stat differently, saying Gen Z actually has highly evolved eight-second "filters." As he explains, "They've grown up in a world where their options are limitless but their time is not. As such, Gen Z have adapted to quickly sorting through and assessing enormous amounts of information. Online, they rely heavily on trending pages within apps to collect the most popular recent content."
Looking at it that way makes Gen Z sound rather savvy, doesn't it?
Will you be as savvy at reaching them?